Yoga is not all physical postures.
What?! I hear you ask..
The 8 limbs of yoga sets out the different components of yoga.
Only one of these 8 limbs is actually physical postures. So that's just 12.5% of yoga. If you count the 10 sub-limbs as separate components, then physical poses actually make up more like 6.25% of yoga!
These are the translations of each of the 8 limbs:
1. Yama = restraints (made up of 5 sub-limbs)
2. Niyama = observances (made up of 5 sub-limbs)
3. Asana = physical postures
4. Pranayama = breathing practices
5. Pratyahara = withdrawal of senses
6. Dharana = concentration
7. Dhyana = meditation
8. Samadhi = enlightenment
Yoga is meant as a way of life, which is why you may hear people talk about yoga on the mat vs. yoga off the mat.
I'll be sharing more about each of these limbs in future blog posts. Sign up to my newsletter at the bottom of this page if you'd like to receive the next blog post straight to your inbox.